CMA Private Healthcare Market Investigation Order (2014)
In 2014, following a review of private healthcare practices in the UK, the Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) published its findings. The relevant Order came into law in April 2015. The Order required private hospital operators to disclose specific information relating to the doctors who work within their facilities. Below is the relevant information that HMT is required to publish, as outlined in the Order.
High Value Services provided by HMT
When seeing their own private patients, our doctors are charged per hour for the use of consulting rooms at HMT Hospitals. Consulting rooms are made available on a first come first served basis, with no individual prioritisation.
Low Value Services provided by HMT
The following services are provided to doctors when consulting or treating their own private patients at HMT Hospitals. These services are provided free of charge.
Clinical Support Services
Provision of Workplace Amenities
• Chaperone Support, Operational Support (such as patient administration services).
• Stationery and refreshments to the same extent that are made available to our employed staff.
• We publish profiles of our doctors in both digital and paper formats as part of HMT’s marketing programme.
Equity Participation Schemes
HMT does not operate Equity Participation Schemes with any doctor using its facilities.
Corporate Hospitality Events for Referring Clinicians
HMT does not host or contribute to corporate events specifically for clinicians who refer their own private patients for consultation or treatment at our facilities.
Clinical Advisory Service
HMT has appointed a number of Clinical Advisors at each hospital site. Their role includes the following:
• To be available to offer advice to senior management on matters relating to clinical practice.
• To assist the Hospital’s management team to achieve compliance in relation to regulatory requirements and national guidelines relevant to their specialty.
• To advise on clinical policy at HMT Hospitals.
For this service, each Clinical Advisor is remunerated to the sum of £5000 per annum. The current list of Clinical Advisors at each hospital is listed below.
Sancta Maria Hospital
Mr I Russell - Orthopaedics Dr P Mangat - Anaesthesia Mr M Davies - General Surgery Dr M Bevan - Medicine Dr S Dalavaye - Radiology
St Hugh’s Hospital
Mr S Goel - Ophthalmology Mr R Pacheco - Orthopaedics Mr K Sasapu - General Surgery Dr Gurung - Pre-Operative
As required by the CMA Order, HMT submits patient outcome data to the Private Healthcare Information Network (PHIN), the nominated Information Organisation (IO).